Monday, May 30, 2011

This is how I draw

I'm always interested in how other people draw or sculpt. I love seeing the creative processes. So I thought, why not share an example of my own?



I'll show you the process of this drawing. It's of two of my deer on The Endless Forest, Fae and Roe.


First, the sketch. It's a little hard to see, sorry. I typically sketch pretty light.


Next, line art. I do all my lines with a fine point sharpie pen.



On to color!! I start with the lightest colors first. It's easy to add dark over light, but very difficult to go the other way.



Added more color and details.



More color and details.


Adding more dark and shadow and different colors.




More details and color added. Fae, the butterfly colored doe, has around 9 different colors. Several browns, oranges, yellows, peach, white, grey and black. Roe has grey, black, 3 blues, white, beige, and 2 greens. Lots of colors! After I'm finished coloring, I go back and re-line everything.
This drawing took around 2 hours from start to finish. I use Prismacolor colored pencils. This is the technique I use on most of my artwork - traditional that is. My process is a bit different with digital.

2 comments:

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

So cool to see how you make your masterpieces! I cannot draw at all, except little star shaped doodles when I'm on the phone, so it amazes me how you make such cool stuff.

Kat said...

I often record my digital work using camstudio. Then I speed them up to around 3000% (lol) overlay some badass tunes, upload it to youtube and stick it on my blog (and in my description on DA submissions).

Sucks you can't comment on my blog though D:

I really enjoyed seeing how you make your traditional work. MOAR PLZ.