Saturday, January 30, 2010

Holy Crap I'm in the Hospital!!!!

That's right. I'm typing this from my hospital bed. Woot! Luckily, I was admitted last night to my own floor (remember - I work postpartum and nursery, but my floor also handles GYN patients).

Why was I admitted? I'm glad you asked! Let me tell you . . . . .

So Thursday night around 10pm I had some cramping and gas pain. Felt like I was a little bloated and constipated. So I go to sleep and wake up around midnight, cramping and gassy, and I have a bowel movement (BM). No relief. So I go back to bed and kinda roll around in pain, drift off, then roll around in pain some more. Next thing I know, it's 4am. I get up, still cramping and gassy, have another BM, and decide to take some milk of magnesia to try and move things along. I go and lay on the couch, the pain building and building. I can't sit cause it hurts, I can't lay down because it hurts and I can't breath. At 5am, I finally wake Jeremy and have him bring me the phone so I can call in sick.

I felt like an idiot. I'm all, 'hi Amy. It's Cami. I hate to do this to you but I need to call in sick. I have horrible gas pain and I can't stand up straight.' Duuuuuuuude, I called in sick with gas pain.
So Jeremy takes Ayden to his mom's, and comes back to make sure I'm doing okay. By this point, I'm not. I'm in a great deal of pain and it's only getting worse. So off to the ER we go!
By the time the ER doctor comes to check me out, I'm in tears I hurt so bad. Labor was not nearly as painful.

I have x-rays, blood work, an abdominal ultrasound, CT scan, and then a transvaginal ultrasound done. I had a cyst on my right ovary burst and begin bleeding into my abdominal cavity. Yay! So I'm admitted to be watched and to get my pain under control.

Thankfully, my pain is much better. Not gone, as I have an abdomin filled with blood, but tolerable. I just had blood drawn and am waiting to get the results. Those will dictate whether I get to go home, or have surgery.
Good times.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I have had two ovarian cysts bursts, too. Just reading your description, I totally knew what you were going to say was wrong. They hurt like an SOB! I had to have morphine the first time. I thought I was going to die. But it bets better pretty fast, generally! Hang in there!

Jiorji said...

dude!!! feel better! i only skimmer through that. Sorry but i wanted to know what was up without getting woozy from details. Someone talking about having a hard time with their piercing makes me woozy so...NOT that i don't love your writing, but..i get woozy easily. And tea is on the stove, i don't want to pass out with the stove on.

Anyway...feel better soon :)
maybe this'll inspire you to make...zombie ovaries?? hmm...HAHA

ps. since you're on your floor, do you get to buzz your own nurse friends and get them to fetch you new water and juice?

Anonymous said...

I was totally waiting to read "I had a baby and didn't even know I was pregnant"... then I was going to question your mad nursing skills. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Hope you feel better soon and your nursey friends take great care of you!

Cami said...

Thanks guys!! I'm being very nice to my coworkers - I don't want to be THAT patient! Ha!