Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hooray for DISLOCATED KNEECAPS!!!!

Ahhhhhh, yes. So, remember when I was all excited and announced that I was going to run the Bolder Boulder 10K? Yeeaaaahhhhhhh, totally not happening. Why? Because, in the course of training for it, I dislocated my right kneecap. AWESOME. Here's some background info:

When I was 19, I started running and loved it. I ran almost daily for 3 weeks and dislocated both of my kneecaps. It was ridiculously painful and I did physical therapy for 3 months after. My doctor and my physical therapist told me not to run or do any high impact exercises. Otherwise I'd end up dislocating them again.

Why am I so prone to dislocation?

1. I have an excessive Q-angle. Which means I have an angle greater than 25 degrees between my patellar tendon and quadriceps muscle.

2. My patella is misaligned on my knee joint in both of my legs. Which means that my kneecaps (patellas) sit too high in the joint, weakening the ligaments that support the patella.

3. I'm a chick. Yes, us females are more prone to this type of injury.

So, when I do something high impact, like jogging or running, my patellas tend to migrate laterally ( to the outside). And it hurts like bloody hell.

So, seeing how I have the exact same freaking injury, I'm NOT doing the 10K. I'd much rather not be in constant pain.

Stupid knees.

4 comments:

Jiorji said...

heheh your blog is like taking a free science class!

Anonymous said...

bummer. this is why I don't even try to run. perhaps you could have zan pull you on a skateboard for the race.

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

Your migrating patella is crazy sexy.

Cami said...

I know, right???